What is Passengers?
Passengers is a street photography project, in both web and book series form, about anonymous public transport passengers. It’s designed as a participative online project. All the images are captured by mobile devices and published on Instagram. The site is a “real-time view” of the participation process. The book is a visual meditation on public transport passengers and the aesthetics of street photography using mobile devices. You can read a more in depth explanation here.
How to contribute your photographs
- REGISTER in our site and agree to the terms and conditions.
- Tag your images using the #passengers hashtag on Instagram. The system will automatically import your photos, so you can do it directly while in the street.
How to contribute your texts
Send your text or ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org
Who can participate?
Any person 18 years of age or older from any country or nationality.
- The deadline for tagging photos or sending texts to Passengers 2012 is March 1, 2014 at 23:59 GMT +1 (only 2013 published pictures will be considered for this book, but you can tag it until March 1).
- Publishing: the estimated date for the book launch is December, 2014.
Editors have not been chosen yet. We accept proposals.
Legal terms and conditions
The participant must submit an original work and guarantee that s/he is the sole owner of the copyright of the photograph and therefore has the right to use and transfer it to third parties. In particular, participants exempt the Barcelona Photobloggers from any claims with regard to copyright or other exclusive rights of third parties that may be violated by the submission of this photograph for competition, and accept responsibility for any complaints involving sanctions, fines or damages.
The photographs must be original and exclusive to the person who submits them. This means that each participant must be the author and owner of the rights to use each photograph s/he submits.
The content of the photographs must not contain obscene or defamatory material.
All rights referring to each image and its content (people, places, situations, products, brands, objects, etc.) and the copyrights represented in the photographs submitted to the competition are the sole responsibility of the person who uploads the content to the server.
The participants must respond to claims of authorship that may be made by third parties with regard to work submitted by the former.
All the information, data, text, photographs and labels or other materials uploaded publically or transmitted privately are the sole responsibility of the participant.
The act of submitting photographs for publication implies the user’s acceptance of and consent to the following points:
- Barcelona Photobloggers receives a non-exclusive transfer of the right of reproduction, distribution and public communication of the photograph, all over the world and for the maximum period allowed by Legislative Decree 1/1996, of 12 April, which approves the Revised Text of the Act on Intellectual Property.
- The participant, by accepting the publication of her/his photographs, authorizes the Barcelona Photobloggers to include their content on:
- the website http://passengers-streetphotography.com/
- the book Passengers 2012 and Passengers 2013
- any social network to promote the project
- Barcelona Photobloggers will give the proper credits to all images in all the channels used to publish/promote the project.
- In no event will the Barcelona Photobloggers use the photographs received to promote products and/or brands other than the organization.
- Barcelona Photobloggers will sell “Passengers”, “Passengers 2012” and “Passengers 2013” books with a selection of photos from this web. Barcelona Photobloggers is not going to earn any money of Passengers books.
- Barcelona Photobloggers may send participants updates by electronic means to inform them about the stages of the project.
Any conflicts between the users of http://passengers-streetphotography.com/, the authors and owners of copyrights of the works will be decided by the Courts of Barcelona (Spain) and http://passengers-streetphotography.com/ is subject to Spanish law.
Barcelona Photobloggers has the right to restrict the participation of any user and all its photographs.
Can I submit old photographs?
Yes, you only need to tag the pictures using the #passengers hashtag on Instagram. To easily tag your early photos, you may use Webstagram. Note: photographs are ordered by publishing date.
Can I upload my SLR photographs?
No, the main idea of Passengers is to submit images captured, edited and published using a mobile device. We may restrict participants uploading SLR photos.
I don’t have an iPhone, can I join?
Yes, you only need an Instagram compatible phone.
Do I give up the rights to my own pictures by publishing them on Passengers?
Not at all. You only give us the right to publish them on our site and book. Your artwork is yours and yours alone.